Jamdani is a vividly patterned, sheer cotton fabric, traditionally woven on a handloom by craftspeople and apprentices around Dhaka. Jamdani textiles combine intricacy of design with muted or vibrant colors, and the finished garments are highly breathable is a time-consuming and labor-intensive form of weaving. This is one of the finest muslin textiles of Bengal, produced in South Rupshi of Narayanganj district in Bangladesh for centuries. The historic production of Jamdani was patronized by imperial warrants of the Mughal emperors. Under British colonialism, the Bengali Jamdani and muslin industries rapidly declined for colonial import policies favoring industrially manufactured textiles. In more recent years, the production of Jamdani has witnessed a revival in Bangladesh. In this full-day tour, we’ll visit a Zamdani weaving village factory in Narayanganj, a primary school, Zamindar Palace and a Zamdani outlet shop in Dhaka.
Full day (8 hours)
- Jamdani weaving village
- Weaving Techniques & Weavers Lifestyle
- Murapara Zamindar Palace
- Aarong Shop
Tour Available :
Round the year.
Best time to go:
Round the year.
- Visit a Jamdani weaving village and factories in Narayanganj.
- Learn the processing of making Jamdani and know the weavers.
- Visit a primary school nearby and feel yourself with smiling faces.
- Opportunities to buy some original Jamdani Cloths from the village.
- Visit Murapara Zaminder Palace (Murapara College).
- Visit a Jamdani outlet shop (Aarong) at Dhaka.
Day 1 : Weaving Village & Murapara, Narayanganj
- In around 8:00 am-8:30 am, Starting of the tour from your hotel or residence. Our responsible guide will pick you up with the car and start toward Narayanganj.
- Visit a Jamdani weaving village and observe the processing, talk to the weavers, and make yourself free to spend a good time.
- Spending two hours, we’ll visit a primary school nearby. Spend some time with the innocent smiling faces.
- After, visit Murapara Zamindar Palace now under Murapara College was built by Ramratan Banerjee from Raj family in 1889.
- Coming back to Dhaka, enjoy your lunch and visit Aarong Shop, a Jamdani and crafts outlet in Gulshan.
- In the evening go back to your hotel or residence and end of the tour.
Price for the tour (Per Person)
- Air-conditioned car and driver for the whole day.
- English-speaking guide.
- All entrance fee during the trip.
- Lunch on local restaurant with quality food.
- One bottle mineral water.
- Personal expenses.
- Food not mentioned above.
- Timing and gradualism for the places are flexible;We could change it because of traffic during the tour.
- Bengali food is spicy as usual. Plain rice, fish & meat is available everywhere.
- Biriyani & Khichuri made of Rice, lentil, meat and special spices are the famous food of old Dhaka and available in restaurants.
- Opportunities to buy some original Jamdani Cloths and crafts from the village.
- You can buy class wears and crafts from Aarong shop.
- Bring some chocolate or small dry food for the children to be free with them.